Why Ovarian Rejuvenation?
Women always have eggs inside their ovaries but a lot of these eggs are dormant. Even postmenopausal women still have on average 1,000 dormant eggs inside their ovaries. Ovarian rejuvenation is a newly pioneered procedure intended to re-awake egg maturation and development within the ovary and potentially improve egg quality. Rejuvenation Therapy could be used to achieve pregnancy in women with Low Ovarian Reserve, women with Premature Ovarian Insufficiency (POI), and women with early menopause.
You are a candidate for Ovarian Rejuvenation if:
- You have Low Ovarian Reserve: low AMH or high FSH levels
- You have poor egg quality
- You have poor embryo quality
- You are having early menopause
- You have Premature Ovarian Insufficiency (POI)
Ovarian Rejuvenation is a cutting-edge fertility procedure that is still considered experimental. The success rates and outcomes depend on the age of the patient, the diagnosis and the frequency of the menstrual cycle.
Brief summary of Ovarian Rejuvenation procedure:
You need to stay in the office for 1.5 hours. It is a minimally invasive vaginal procedure and you are usually given anesthesia so you will not feel any pain. The steps are:
Step 1: Come to office and we will take blood from your forearm (5 minutes)
Step 2: The blood is taken to the lab for preparation (approximately 1 hour).
Step 3: The injection inside the ovaries vaginally under ultrasound guidance after the anesthesiologist makes you comfortable (25 minutes).
Following the procedure, we will ask you to monitor weekly (blood hormones + vaginal ultrasound) for 2-8 weeks. The vaginal ultrasound is also performed at the time of the blood test in order to count the number of follicles inside the ovaries.
- Zaher Merhi et al. Use of Intra-uterine Injection of Platelet-rich Plasma (PRP) for Endometrial Receptivity and Thickness: a Literature Review of the Mechanisms of Action. Reprod Sci. 2021;28:1659-1670.
- Zaher Merhi et al. Intraovarian PRP Injection Improved Hot Flashes in a Woman with Very Low Ovarian Reserve. Reprod Sci. 2021.